23 April 2007

NIGERIA : I Can't Do Without Nigerian Girls -Oyedeji

Born May 11, 1981 in Ibadan, Olumide Oyedeji is a bastion in the Nigerian Men's national team, D'Tigers.
Oyedeji, a 6'10" center, most notable in the America National Basketball Association was selected by the Seattle Supersonics in the 2nd round (42nd overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft.He is regarded to be the most traveled Nigeria professional basketball player, having played professionally in China, Puerto Rico and is currently with Seoul Samsung Thunders in South Korea.

Prior to his NBA career (1998-2000) he played two seasons for DJK Würzburg of the German basketball league and had brief stint with the Sonics and the Orlando Magic in the NBA.

He was a member of the National team to the 1998 World Cup in Greece, and featured at the African Championship in Algeria, where the team won a Bronze. Oyedeji was in the team that qualified the country for the 2006 FIBA World championship in Japan, but he was left out of the squad to the championship proper, basketball enthusiasts have never stopped talking about that. Oyedeji spoke in chat with Wale Quadri, about his pet project, personal life, his future in the national team and other issues.

So how is life going on with in South Korea?

It has been great, I had a great season, though my club Seoul Samsung Thunders could not make it to the final this season, but on a personal note, I won the Most Valuable Player award in the All-Stars game. I was in the season's best five and also I thank God for having an injury-free season and to God be the glory, I was also the best big man in an Asian tournament.

The All African Games is around the corner and most countries have started preparation. But, Nigeria's preparation is yet to take-off, we learnt the camp is opening in May in Dallas, U.S.A, how prepared are you?

I think they said the camp is starting in June in Dallas or somewhere in the U.S.A., I really know about their plans, I have not been contacted, I have not received any letter of invitation. So, I don't know anything about the campaign until I'm contacted.

I know I'm always available to serve the nation at any giving opportunity.

It was reported that you've turned back on national assignment after the saga between you and the coach, Sam Vincent.
I have no problem with Nigerian basketball or the Nigeria Basketball Federation, but with Sam Vincent. I am a Nigerian and whether Sam Vincent likes it or not, he is going to leave this country one day somehow, but for me, I have nowhere to go. I am a home boy and my loyalty is not to Sam Vincent but to countrymen and women, to Nigeria as a whole not even to the NBBF, to the 140 million Nigerians.
I think not being able to compromise on this triggered off the hostility between us. But, I'll remain loyal to my country despite the humiliation and the embarrassment and pain that I went through to assist Nigeria qualify for the World Championship in Japan. The foreign coach denied me the opportunity to represent my country because I was not a coach's stooge.

Do you have any regrets missing the World championship?
No, not at all, although everybody's dream is to play at the World Championship, but my inability to play in Japan was not regretted. I have been to World Championship before that was when I was very young in 1998. Although, I did not play any match, but was on the bench all through. I have played at the highest level, having played in the NBA, Euro league and Asia. I have played in the best leagues all around the world, so I thank God for all those, because with God, it would not have been possible. I did not really miss much not playing at the World Championship, because I was not looking for job then unlike some players who are desperate to get clubs and want to do anything to please the coach. I thank God I am not in that situation.

Project into the future, what can you say about the game in Nigeria?

Honestly that has been my fear. That really prompted me to set up the academy to give hope to the kids and make them realize that there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. No matter the situation they are facing now the future will be good. Like when I was playing basketball back home. It is unfortunate that despite the array of talented Nigerian stars spread across Europe, little have been given back to the society. These kids don't see them anymore. When I was growing up I saw the likes of Tunji Awojobi, Peter Aluma, Julius Nwosu, the late Muhamed Asha and many more. This gave me the encouragement to want to play like them. But at the last World Championship, we took all American-based team to the championship, we made the home-based stars looked inferior and felt neglected. If you say the truth in Nigeria, you become their enemy, the president of NBBF, Buba Gyang is a good man and he is doing his best for the game. He spends his personal money on the game, but what about the people around him? What kind of people are they?

There is currently no national league going what do say about that?

It is very bad and this will have negative effect on the home-based players negatively. You know, basketball and sports in particular take a lot of kids off the street, Sports discourage them from social vices, I will say it's the game that changed my life. Also, it can change their lives too. When I was young, I was in school and still playing the game, now, tell me how many games they play in 5 years? May be about 46 games, and in one season, I played 64 games and in five years they have not played more than what I played in a season. I think it's not about getting sponsors, what we need is people with innovative ideas, people who can think and plan, so I must confess I am extremely disappointed.

If you had not being a basketballer, what sports would you have gone into?

I played soccer too, it is only that I don't know how successful I would have been if I had continue playing the game.

Let's go personal. How soon are you quitting the bachelorhood?
(Laugh) Very soon and I will send you invitation as soon as all I's are dotted and T's crossed.

Is she going to be a Nigerian?

Yes! Definitely I'm a village man from Ibadan, I can't marry a white lady. My heartthrob is a full blooded Nigerian. Though, she doesn't leaves here in Nigeria, but she from Ibadan. I so much cherish her; she's always there for me. I don't think I can do without Nigerian girl.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?